We spent a beautiful weekend outside of the city. We stayed in a little town near Woodstock and up there the weather was colder and the leaves already started changing. I was happy to bundle up in a comfy sweater and a warm cup of tea, and spend my weekend enjoying the view from our porch.
How are you doing with the fall weather slowly sneaking in? This time of year kick starts me into baking again, there is always a hiatus with the heat in the summer. Now that it is a little chillier I thought it would be fun to start with experimenting with pumpkin. My first go at Pumpkin bars had some great flavor but the texture was more like dense bread rather then chewy thin bars. My second attempt was successful enough that I am excited to share this simple yet delicious recipe!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bars (with an Optional Lactose Free Cream Cheese Frosting)
1 cup of gluten free flour (I used Bobs Red Mill)
1/2 tsp baking soda & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 cup pumpkin
1/2 tsp vanilla
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
4oz vegan cream cheese
1/4 cup of any butter softened (I used goat butter)
1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a bowl mix the first 4 ingredients together (flour, cinnamon, baking soda & powder and salt)
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer on medium high, mix the eggs, coconut oil, pumpkin, sugar and vanilla for a few minutes until the mixture starts getting a little fluffy (usually in about 3-4 minutes).
- With the mixer on low add the bowl of dry ingredients to the wet mixture until everything is well mixed together.
- Throw the mix into a lightly oiled wide dish into the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-30 min (will cook faster in a wider dish).
- When its ready, pull out of the oven and let it cool while making the frosting.
- For the frosting mix all the ingredients with any mixer on high until everything is blended well. Spread the frosting on the cooled pumpkin bars and stick into the fridge for a few hours.
- Eat and share!
Doesnt it look delicious? I doubt it will survive in the fridge to even the end of the week.
What desserts do you like to make in the fall? Anything pumpkin themed and warm does the trick for me. I will try to make pumpkin pie next.
P.S.- Below are some photos from our weekend that I would love to share: